This is the first quilt to be finished for 2019, made entirely by me. It is for our WAQA community quilts -to be given to a charity which supports teenagers with cancer. They asked for 50 quilts made from the bandannas they use as a fundraiser each year. I made this one, and also quilted a similar one in red. I will be handing them both over tomorrow night at the Sewing Night meeting.
There were a few issues with the quilting of this one. My beloved Nina, the 306K 1954 Singer sewing machine had all sorts of issues with free motion quilting this time. I did everything I could think of to fix it: new bobbin, new needle, even watched a YouTube demo and took apart and reassembled the upper tension. In the end I had to abandon it and use my much newer and much smaller Bernina.
My FaceBook vintage sewing machine group suggested that some of them had also had similar problems from time to time. Maybe the machine bed needed some polishing. Some people use glad wrap on the machine bed to help things glide. Others suggested 'operator error' -going too fast for the machine.
Anyway, using the Bernina just proves that it is always handy to have more than one machine!
Maybe Nina was just a bit worn out after quilting two of these quilts in a couple of weeks!
I spent today tidying up my sewing room.
Time to get back to the project I started last year and had to put aside -the queen size Scrappy Mountain Mysteries which will be my new bed quilt.