Saturday, June 4, 2011

I'm saying YES

Earthmotherwithin has been out and about this week, attending the Say Yes rally in Perth. I am proud that my DH and DD came with me, to say Yes to the price on carbon which Australia has been talking about for far too long. This is a picture of the people who came to the Say Yes rally in Perth.

This is what it is about:

http://youtu.be/omGKw4XgFEc

I am trying to live more simply -for many reasons, but mostly because I am convinced that climate change is real, human activity is involved and that we must learn to live with less in order that all should be able to live.

Western Australia, where I live, has been subject to a 40 year drying trend, and if we can't turn around the dependence upon carbon fuels soon, we will lose even more of our annual rainfall.

Reports like this indicate how important it is to do something now.

A new independent commission, made up of leading Australian climate scientists just found that the next decade is the 'critical decade' to stop devastating climate change before it is too late. The longer we wait the more expensive the solutions will be.

I believe that the carbon tax that our government is talking about is not going to be enough on its own, but it is an important first step to make the transition to a clean energy future.

If you want more information about the science of climate change, I encourage you to have a look at the climate commission website for more information.

No comments: