Tuesday, September 5, 2017

A walk in the park

Whilst I am away in Victoria for the birth of our third grand child, I thought I would share with you some pictures of a wonderful walk in the Walyunga National Park that DH and I enjoyed just before I left.

It was a warm spring day. Walyunga National Park is about a 40 k drive from my house, and it is at the point where Derberl Yerrigan (Swan/Avon River) comes down from the escarpment to the coastal plain. The spring wildflowers were out and the place looked like a garden, but this is natural Western Australian vegetation and landscape.


Perth is a pretty dry place, and during the summer, this river is mostly pools of water.

In spring, however, if we have had a good winter rain, it is transformed.


We walked to rather poorly named "Syd's Falls", where there was a beautiful display of foaming water. These falls are about a 40 minute walk from the car park. 


I love the granite boulders and the vegetation of the parkland here. 

The birds were very active, even in the middle of the day. We saw baby ducklings! The best sight however were these kangaroo or Yongah


They were happy to ignore us as we walked on the path nearby.

DH and I stopped at  Edgecombe's Cafe in the Swan Valley on the way home, where we had a coffee and shared a piece of lemon pie. We also brought home some of the 'world's best asparagus" that they grow there.

It was a lovely day, and DH and I have promised ourselves more days like this when I get back from Victoria. Do you have a place where you can walk and enjoy nature?

3 comments:

selina said...

haven't done a 'walk in nature' for years, only the odd little walks around my home town
beautiful photos
thanx for sharing

admin said...

My husband and I used to walk most weekends in various National Parks before the kids. We haven't walked as much in the last year however we used to frequently walk on various trails in the Macedon Ranges with the kids and we all loved it. Have some wonderful photos too. Being out in nature and walking in beautiful places is very invigorating.
Kylie

Phil Poggeaux said...

Nothing more soul-replenishing than watching water rushing down a stream or creak.