Friday, December 21, 2018

It works! Counting our blessings


You know what it feels like, when you have had a dream, and take the plunge and try to carry it off?

You know the struggles, the disappointments, the way you have to call on all your resources of patience and diligence and optimism?

You know how things go unexpectedly wrong but somehow it is OK?

All of that and more has brought us to this week, when in a rush the tiles were done on Sunday, the electricians swooped in a frenzy on Monday to connect everything up and the plumbers wrangled all the taps and stuff into place so that by Tuesday evening we had our kitchen returned to us in all its pristine glory!  (of course it can't stay like that!)



The whole place is just wonderful. We love the natural light the new big window lets in. We love the view over our patio and into the back yard. 

There are little moments:
  • DH comes in and announces that 'unpacking the dishwasher is so easy now" as the drawers are much more conveniently situated and don't require kneeling down to reach into the nether corners of the bottom shelf of some cupboard or another. 
  • I take something hot out of the oven and plonk the whole thing straight onto the stainless steel bench next to the stove.
  • We stand at the sink and marvel at how lovely everything is
  • We can work in several work areas without getting in each other's way



From this wonderful space, I made this: our first sourdough loaf in our new kitchen. 


It has been a learning curve -getting used to the induction cook top and the electric oven and the new combi microwave in particular. The instruction manuals are pretty daunting. Many features I suppose I will never use.

We had invited friends over for a solstice party on Friday, so my new kitchen got a workout,  and some admiring comments, when they came over. I made a vegetable quiche and a tarte a l'oignon (from Elizabeth David's book on Vegetables, which I found in an op shop) and a cake from Nigella's Book "Simply Nigella"- I served it with our mulberries.


Our last bottle of Kalamata olives was opened. I had seen an Instagram post of someone who made a spiced marinade for their olives, so I gently fried garlic and cumin and then tumbled the olives in the pan and warmed it all through with a bit of chilli flakes added. I guess there are other flavours I can try now I know how popular they are!



Now that is done, we can settle down to think about Christmas and the fact our son, daughter in law and the 3 grandchildren will be over in Perth for 2 weeks just after Christmas. We need to oil the bikes, find the toys we packed away, set up the train set and make the place a bit toddler-proof by putting up anything low enough for him to reach!


From me to you, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas time, from our corner of Perth Western Australia.




This is where I intend to spend a lot of time in the near future.




5 comments:

DbrhH. said...

Enjoy the new kitchen, looks divine.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

How wonderful to have a new kitchen, just the way you want.
I can feel your excitement by just reading the post. 😊

I hope you have a lovely time with the family.
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

Nanna Chel said...

That stainless steel bench near the oven is just great. I wish I had thought about that as I took my sourdough out of the oven the other day and had to dig out a cake cooler to put it on. I don't want to damage my new bench :-)

Meg said...

It sounds like your new kitchen is a lovely space to work in. Even if it was a bit of a rush at the end, it's turned out well and you can enjoy it now. I need to give my kitchen a good clean out, my pantry and a few cupboard could do with some organising. I will have to put that on my new year list. Meg:)

earthmotherwithin said...

Thanks for the comments Deb, Nil, Nanna Chel and Meg.

Yes we really love the stainless steel bench. Over time it will get a 'used' look, but it is super practical and we love it. DH has today put up a kitchen towel holder and fixed the small hole in the ceiling where the ceiling fan needed to be moved.