Monday, February 10, 2020

Hot weather and some good news


The weather has been spectacularly right for the Illyarrie or Eucalyptus erythrocorys,a species of tree or mallee from Western Australia -this one just behind our place in the park. It has been not so good for my grapevines- when it hit 43C this week the fruit shrivelled on the vine and I lost my expected crop of Italia grapes -apart from the ones we managed to get off earlier in the week. Many of the larger tomatoes also were destroyed in the heat too. DH carefully picked over the remaining black grape varieties and turned them into what he calls "almost grape jam" - using a Greek recipe with cinnamon and cloves to make a sticky sweet syrup glykos -which we will spoon on our yogurt.

Permaculture Principle 4 is "accept self regulation and accept feedback". Well, I should have either removed the bunches of grapes when the hot weather was forecast or attempted to shade the vines. Lesson learned! We are only in early February and there is more hot weather to come, so I need to put up some more shade for at least another 6 weeks. I have removed some of the tomatoes and will consider another crop when I have added compost to the beds.



On a more positive note, I was given  some curtain fabric from a neighbour -quite a lot of offcuts and end of rolls. Her family has a curtain manufacturing business. DH's sister mentioned that she wanted to have a new pelmet in her bedroom which was better aligned with the colour scheme and the paintings DH put up for her. I am pleased to be able to take three patterns for her to choose between, and will make them up for her. There will be a LOT left over -that navy is heavy, and I am wondering what else I could make with it? At the very least it could be made into very nice shopping bags as gifts. I also have a bench on the patio with a foam cushion that needs a new cover on it.

We were at DH's sister's place on Thursday last week to remove a large glass shower screen from her bathroom. This was presenting a problem because it was too large for the space -if she fell in the shower the paramedics would have no hope of getting her out without removing the screen. DH installed instead a 'rubber dam' - glued to the floor and used with a weighted shower curtain it should keep the floor dry but not be a trip hazard either.

While DH was doing that, I cleaned the window for her, and swept the little courtyard outside her flat. Today we are going back to do more to the shower. We will take the glass panel to the tip shop, and do a couple of other things to make her life easier. She is in often in pain, and needs a place which is easier for her to manage with her level of disability. Sometimes little changes will make that happen -clutter removed so she can walk around with her walker, for example.

I have volunteered to be part of an interim committee for our choir as we become incorporated. This will be one of the volunteering tasks I do this year. I am also deeply into the research for the CARAD history project which is going to take quite a lot of my time.

Our week also included a couple of dinners with friends -one hosted at our place.

And now for some Good news!
Our son, daughter in law and three grandchildren are moving back to Perth!

This is a big decision for them, and they have lots to organise -housing and jobs and packing and all. We are looking forward to being closer to them all. If you pray, please say a prayer for them to find the jobs that will make their lives easier as they move.

I am potting up some herbs and other things as DIL has specifically requested our help in getting her productive garden started. Meanwhile  our DGD wants FLOWERS.

To read this week

Pay the Rent 
https://www.milkwood.net/2020/02/10/pay-the-rent/









4 comments:

Meg said...

Hot weather can really wreak havoc in a garden. I have resisted planting a lot this Summer because it was just so hot and dry for so long. Now the rain has come and the garden is producing with lots of volunteer plants springing up everywhere. We have a pumpkin, basil, spring onion and parsley all popping up. The odd cherry tomato too!

Under our front verandah, which faces south/west, the leaves of my large peace lilies were scorched black from the blazing sun. I will either have to shade them (if I can save them) or choose a more suitable plant to replace them.

Lovely news about your family returning to WA. I'm sure you're excited to have the close again! Meg:)

sustainablemum said...

It is really interesting to read about how people garden in different climates. i have the opposite problem to you, it is usually wet and cool here and things don't grow. You are right that we have to work with what we are given which is what I have learnt to do over time. I grow so much more now than i did when I first started.

How exciting that you might have family living nearer to you, I do hope those plans come to fruition.

TheAwakenedSoul said...

You sound very busy. That is exciting news. I am happy for you.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

It's so nice to have family living nearby.
I hope you son and his family have a smooth move to Perth and that he will be able to find a good job very soon.