Monday, June 15, 2020

The power of a good list for the garden

Yellow rose with drops of rain
Rose after a wet morning


Are you a list-maker? I love a good list, it keeps me on track, reminds me of what needs to be done, and I love ticking things off when they are completed.  This week was a pretty good week for me, mainly because I came back to making a list of things I wanted to achieve, and have been reviewing the list regularly. 

Iris in bloom
Iris in bloom

One of the things I have learned about myself and lists, though, is that I often need to break down a task into some smaller bits in order to get the energy to complete it. "Make an apron" is better listed as "choose the fabric to make an apron", especially if that choice is the thing which is holding up the whole process. 

I am also a person who is quite happy doing things in stages. I had the idea that I wanted to totally revamp the garden bed which borders our patio out the back. It is in full shade in the winter, but in full sun in summer, and has a wonderful trellis which needs to be in use.

In order to get that done I had to remove some plants which were not really working there, including a gardenia which had always struggled-it was too hot for it during the summer, so I moved it under at tree.  In the course of several weeks I have removed and replanted some ground covers which were here.  I needed to weed the whole bed, to buy some plants which I hope will succeed there, and to prepare the soil. The plan is to try some roses here, as they are deciduous when it is shady but will cope with the sun. The trellis will have a passionfruit on it and possibly a climbing rose. 


A garden bed with no plants in it

 I am now keeping a sort of 'garden journal" which records what I want to do and what I have done -successfully or not-and I am finding it very helpful. It is just a spiral bound notebook, and all I do is write the date and anything else I find helpful. I stick in seed packets or draw a design for a garden bed I have in mind.


Today's citrus harvest of lemons, limes and grapefruit in a basket
Today's citrus harvest

Today we had a good time in the garden, pruning the citrus. I like to keep my trees quite low, as I am a small person and the fruit needs to be within reach.  Next time I am in the garden I want to give all the citrus a bit of a feed and attention, as they have all given such a lovely crop of fruit this year. The grapefruit has a second crop coming, which is a surprise but very welcome. As a result of the rain we have had, everything is looking quite happy. 

rainbow chard leaf with red veins
rainbow chard

Yesterday I made this recipe for a chard and feta pie using my rainbow chard. It was really nice! I used fresh oregano, parsley and thyme as flavourings. Rainbow chard is a pretty vegetable -mine has lovely red stems, and it copes with our climate very well. I have had this one growing for over 12 months- I just cut it from the outside of the plant and it keeps on putting out new leaves. As a result I am always glad to get another chard recipe. 

snow pea in flower

I planted some more snow peas this week. The ones I planted a few months ago are now putting out flowers and pods. I am hoping for a good crop this year -who knows, maybe some will actually make it inside? I love to eat them right there in the garden! 

How is your garden growing? Do you keep a garden journal? 



6 comments:

TheAwakenedSoul said...

I don't keep a garden journal, but I do journal each morning about life in general. I also blog a lot about what I'm growing. Your citrus and other plants look very healthy. I just planted chard for the first time. I need to trim off the outer leaves, they are getting yellow. Growing food is such a joy!

Meg said...

I really need to keep a garden journal but that remains just a 'good intention':D I am experimenting with what veg I can grow in an area of the garden that doesn't get morning sunshine. We'll see what happens! MegXx

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I don't keep a garden journal, but I am also a list maker. I enjoying ticking off items when they are done. :)

What a great idea to have a trellis for passion fruit. Mine is going up and up, covering a tall cherry laurel tree. After the current crop, I need to prune it a lot.

Mae Travels said...

Your method of starting projects by listing small steps is really like mine. I say my motto is “set limited goals.”

Your flowers look beautiful!

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Akasha said...

Wow great harvest

sustainablemum said...

I do keep a garden journal although I am a little sporadic about filling it in. I tend to start in the spring and write in it every time I do something but by the middle of the summer I have forgotten all about it! It is really useful to look back at it and remind myself what has been successful, particularly with the timings of things.

I like the idea of breaking things down into smaller steps, I had not thought of doing that. I am a list maker to and I am going to start doing that on my lists from now on.