Monday, October 5, 2020

Kambarang- season of birth- in my garden




The Noongar season of Kambarang has begun here in South West Western Australia.  Known as the season of birth, it is common for us to see baby birds in their nests at this time. We have a family of magpies here, who are raising a new brood in a nest swaying high up in a tree on a neighbour's property. Each year they come to us for some supplemental feeding whilst the hungry mouths are in the nest. We are feeding kitten biscuits -with a high percentage of protein they seem to like them and can manage them. They come to us a couple of times a day for snacks, and also drink in our bird bath. It is also the season for wildflowers to bloom -especially yellow ones, and for the stalk of the Balga or grasstree to be in evidence.

The season is known for longer and warmer dry periods in between showers of rain. This makes the garden grow fast, but is also a time for me to start examining my reticulation and checking that everything is going to be watered as the hotter weather arrives. 

Source: http://www.bom.gov.au/iwk/nyoongar/kambarang.shtml

In my garden I am busy putting seeds in the new wooden flats my DH made for me.


This tray has petunias, black tom tomatoes and rainbow chard. I am also anxiously waiting for chilli seedlings to emerge, along with some za'atar and clove basil which I am growing from some seed I bought via mail order from a local seed saving operation. I am experimenting with a seed raising mix which I have added some coir for extra water retention, and a bit of perlite. 



We also have planted some salvias and Mexican marigolds (Tagates lemonii) , and some Russian sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia), to add colour to the garden. I have put up some teepee trellises for the early tomatoes. I have replanted some coriander, after my earlier success in winter, although I know that it is likely to grow more seed than leaf if we get some early hot weather. 


The garden is looking pretty good at the moment, thanks to the fact that I am now in a pretty regular routine of spending a couple of hours peer day in it whenever I can- which is most days of the week, really. I find it the consistently happiest part of my day. 

 




3 comments:

Jenna H. said...

Great photos - that garden is looking nice :)
Jenna ♥
Stay in touch? Life of an Earth Muffin

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Oh, I love gardening. It's so rewarding. You can't put a price on what it does for the atmosphere.

sustainablemum said...

I love reading what others are doing in their gardens. Mine has stopped growing now as the temperatures have dropped along with the daylight. I envy you being able to grow things through the winter.