Sunday, November 22, 2020

Hello

After we got home from Kinjarling/ Albany and felt that it was time to take Dora to the vet. Our young neighbour had done a great job in taking care of her while we were away, but we felt that she was a bit thin. It turned out that she has hyperthyroidism. We have started her on some medicines which we hope will help her feel less anxious and be more willing to eat and put on some of the weight she has lost. I have noticed that she is sleeping more soundly now, which is good. 



 We made progress on the verge garden, spreading a load of free mulch on it. Now we wait until the rains come again in autumn before we plant. The mulch should start breaking down and reviving the soil a bit. Meanwhile I am keenly observing other verge gardens around here to see what grows well. 


This handsome new glazed pot is going to have a small solar fountain in it, among my roses. I can see this garden from my kitchen window. I am thinking about making more opportunities for having more  moving water in the garden -this is my first experiment. We used a smaller plastic pot inside the glazed one, and DH glued it and sealed it. We did not realise however,  that the weight of the water would sink the pot further into the outer glazed pot, so the water level is not where we thought it would be.  DH is having a think about what to do next -perhaps we leave it as it is, perhaps we buy some preparation to seal the outer pot so it doesn't need a liner. The solar fountain is ordered and on its way. 


This jasmine is the best I have ever seen it. The perfume is amazing. It is covering an ugly back fence near my patio.

As a result of all the rain we had in the first couple of weeks of November, everything is looking great in the garden. I have just about finished harvesting the beetroot, and the lettuce is going well. There are a couple of new snow pea vines coming on, and if I take the tomatoes off the vine when they start to turn a bit pink, I have the chance of ripening them up inside before some critter steals them - it might be the 28 parrots.  The blueberries are ripening nicely and I have some mulberries on the tree at last.



I really enjoyed Toby Hemenway's book "The permaculture city: regenerative design for urban, suburban and town resilience" which I got from the library. As I live in a suburban house, it makes a lot of sense and is very applicable to me.



Jason Hickel's book "Less is More -how degrowth will save the world" is a cracker of a book too. Highly recommended. 

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave a comment if you like.


6 comments:

Jenna H. said...

Those books look nice - I should add them to my to-read list!
Jenna ♥
Stay in touch? Life of an Earth Muffin

Nanna Chel said...

I find it amazing that you can grow veggies on the verge. I think it is a great idea but I doubt it would ever be allowed here.

Meg said...

Moving water in your garden will be so calming. I will see of these books are available at my library as I would love to read them. Meg🙂

earthmotherwithin said...

Nanna Chel, we are not allowed any fixed structures like trellises, raised gardens or benches. So long as it is less than 60cm in height we are pretty much OK but I am planning to grow native WA plants out there for habitat for birds and lizards and things. I don't want to water it after the first year.

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Mulch makes such a difference in the garden. I just covered my front potager garden with straw. It sounds like you are growing some wonderful food. My artichokes are starting to return from last year. They get huge!

sustainablemum said...

I love to hear about your garden as it is so very different to mine. We have a small wildlife pond in our garden which the birds love to visit. Those books look really interesting, you have reminded me that I haven't been to the library in months as it has not been open, I am really missing it now.