Saturday, August 6, 2022

New Design Wall- with how to do it yourself

 


Twelve years is a long time for a temporary design wall to work. This  design wall (above) is a piece of batting, sewn to abacking, and hung from curtain rods in my sewing room, just behind the door.

It worked pretty well, but it was small and flimsy. I often had to use pins to keep heavy pieces on to it.

My dream was to one day have one of those design walls I saw on quilter's blogs- made with some kind of insulation foam blocks covered with batting.  The love of my life (apart from my garden and quilts) Mr DH, heard my call, and started to work out how to do it. The design brief included the idea that the boards should be relatively easy to dismantle -ie no sticking the boards to the wall with glue.

He did the research. He made the plan. Five boards. Four stuck together horizontally with gorilla glue and tape. One cut down the middle and stuck vertically. 




He created a solid shelf for the bottom of the design wall to sit into. He created metal brackets for the top, to hold it in place.


We had a bit of a blip when we realised that the piece of batting which I had saved for the project was about 20 cm or 10 inches too short! Quick trip to a shop, and we were here stapling the batting to the back of the boards, and using tape to secure the corners.




Here it is in all its glory! Solid, smooth, not wobbly or flimsy.


I love it

Thank you Mr DH! 💗💗

2 comments:

sustainablemum said...

I have never heard of a design wall, it sounds like a very useful thing to have if your are often sewing quilts. I would not have room for one of these in my house, I don't have any walls I could attach it to as they are all busy with other things already! Enjoy your new wall.

earthmotherwithin said...

I love a busy wall! This design wall had to be fitted in behind the door, and I have an ironing board/cupboard on wheels which I usually keep in front of it, until I need the whole space. It is extremely useful to check the layout of the quilt before sewing the blocks together.