Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The rhythm of the season of autumn

“Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature -- the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter.” 
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring










The season has broken, the rains have arrived.

My quilt is back on the bed.

Soup is back on the menu. 

I have been wearing my long black pants to work again.
The umbrella has been broken out, after a search to find it.
Yesterday, when attending an early morning vigil in the streets of Perth, I wore my full length raincoat.
Some time soon I will need to find my leather gloves, and the cute beret I found last time I was in Tasmania.

It is time to take down the shade sails and blinds from around the house, and let the winter sun come in.

We have started turning on the electric booster on the solar hot water system -but after months and months of free hot water, that is OK. It is part of this season.

The snuggle quilts I have draped over our chairs will be put into use in cool nights.

Simple Living Autumn challenges for us:

  • Finding ways of getting exercise when the rain falls and we don't want to walk outside. We have been looking at adding a swim at the local pool as something to do to mix up our exercise. We can get a seniors discount on 10 tickets -might be worth doing.
  • Adding lime to the garden beds -they have got acidic over the years and have been producing less and less
  • The citrus harvest will come in shortly. DH has made the most amazing Myer Lemon jelly which is bursting with flavour, but we have the grapefruit just about in, and then it will be the tangellos. 
How does the change of seasons work where you are, I wonder? 





No comments: