Sunday, March 28, 2010

Recipes!


Thought I would share a few recipes with you this week.

Minted garlicy salad dressing
The first started with a problem -our autumn garden had no 'leaves' for salad! What to do? I took a head of broccoli and a head of cauliflower from the fridge and, after cutting them into little pieces, blanched them in hot water for about a minute.

Then I went out to the herb pots and harvested some mint -a good handful.
I whizzed it in the blender with a gloop of home made Greek yoghurt and a clove of garlic. The quantities are a bit vague =you want it to be able to coat the veggies. I reckon about 3 tablespoons would do it.

Then I added a pouch of chick peas from the freezer, (I cook then up in batches and freeze until I need them) which I popped in the water I had used to blanch the veggies, to warm them up a bit.

YUM!

The next recipe is from I don' t remember exactly, but I know that it is attributed to Peter Singer.

Dahl is the staple diet of millions of people in the world. Don't let them have all the fun!

Dahl:
1 tblspn olive oil
2 cloves garlic (crushed/chopped)
1 medium onion, diced
2 tspns curry powder (more if you like it)
1 cup small red lentils
1 cup water
2-3 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
1 tin tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 tblspns lemon juice

In a large saucepan, saute the garlic for a minute then add the onions and cook until they are beginning to soften.
Add curry powder and cook for a minute.
Add lentils, stir a bit and then add water, bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
Bring to boil, turn down very low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring from time to time.
Add chopped tomatoes, and simmer until thick (10 minutes?)
You want soft lentils and it should be not-quite-porridge in consistency.
Add coconut milk and lemon juice.

Serve over rice -with broccoli and cauliflower dressed in minty, garlicy dressing!

Enjoy!

No comments: