1. Go for a walk on the beach or in the bush. Go carefully. Slowly. Notice things! This is an ancient and precious, fragile ecosystem. Think about how we can protect and care for it.
2. Watch Paul Keating's speech on 10 December 1992 in Redfern
3. Learn the words of the National Anthem -both verses.
4. Watch the speech of the Australian of the Year 2014:
5. Read an Australian novel, or watch an Australian movie, such as:
The Rabbit Proof fence
One of our Human Rights Commissioners wrote about patriotism and Australia day here:
He said".. patriotism needn't mean blind loyalty or ethnic chauvinism. You love Australia not just because it's your country, but also because it has qualities that make it worth celebrating. When your country falls short of its best, it may be your obligation to criticise it. If you truly love something, you will want to improve it" .
Happy Australia Day!