Friday, January 8, 2016

Eclipse is finished


This quilt used a fabric collection from Moda that I had owned for a number of years, but couldn't think of a way of using it. The teal didn't play well with anything else in the stash, and I loved it but couldn't imagine it on its own in a quilt.

The idea of adding the collection of dark batiks was the start of this quilt. These fabrics were also ones I hadn't used, as they were "too good" or too beautiful to use! 

My dear daughter DD gave me a ruler for making circles, so I wanted to make a quilt with circles in it. I tried a number of methods but came back to raw edge applique, which I then edged with a stitch on my modern Bernina sewing machine. That machine had to come into play when Nina my Singer 306K got a bit stuck and had to go to the repair shop. 


Nina was back in time to put on the binding, though, using one of my new cams. I was very pleased with the result! I like bindings to be scrappy and use up bits of the fabric from the quilt itself.

All in all I am really happy with this quilt.


1 comment:

Jo said...

And so you should be - a really creative use of those 'must haves' that lurk at the back of any quilter's cupboard, and a great result!!