Friday, November 4, 2016

Spring fun days-spiders and beaches and plants

My grand daughter posted scary spider pictures all over my kitchen -to "Scare Pa!". 
We had a lovely time with her having a sleepover at our place on Wednesday night.

By Thursday the weather had improved so much we were able to go to Mullaloo beach and enjoy our first walk along the water's edge for the spring/summer season. It was so beautiful I felt as excited as a little child. As it was going up to a whopping 37 degrees C today, we were there again this morning. WooHoo. There is something quite marvellously relaxing about walking in bare feet right on the water's edge first thing in the morning, then going home to coffee and prayers. 

I have  also inspired to think about making a beach-themed queen size bed quilt for our bed. One which would have all the beach colours -green, aqua, violet, sand, white foam, deep blue and pink. I have most of these colours already in the stash, but would need to get some acqua. Hey - a trip to the LQS is in order! I wonder what pattern I would use? I haven't done a 'trip around the world" quilt, and that might be fun to do. I might play around with the layout if I did this. On the other hand, I am inspired by granny squares too.....Hmmmm. 

I would send it out to be quilted, though. Queen size quilts are too much for my domestic sewing machine set up.


This is Mullaloo last Thursday morning, up by the reef near Ocean Reef car park

My Nanowrimo project is on track so far - I have just over 8,000 words of the total of 40,000 required.  I am enjoying the space to write whilst I am on my TOIL break from work. 

DH and I are enjoying the space this week to work around the house and garden -doing the simple things we love. This is a new vertical garden I am setting up on the back patio. DH made it with some free pallets which he got from up the road where a neighbour is building a HUGE retaining wall. They have one of those houses which is lower than the road, and I think he is planning to retain the soil and build a driveway which is level with the road. He is using limestone blocks and had lots of pallets over. DH now has a line of them down our driveway fenceline! We have discovered that not all pallets are made the same -some are easier to get apart, for one thing. DH is having fun learning how to use them. He has made 2 vertical gardens. 

I am using cut-down plastic milk cartons for most of the pots -they fit exactly in the little trays in the pallet, and hold enough soil to grow seeds. I have some herbs here which I hope will be sheltered enough to survive the summer and be close to the back door to snip something for a quick meal flavour enhancer. There is already some mint, coriander and parsley here, with radishes coming up fast. I have experimented with cress and mustard in the little recycled pots,and DGD planted an avocado seed. 


This (below) is a nifty stool/box which DH created for me because I said I wanted something to perch on out in the front garden when I am gardening, and want to stop for a drink.  It is more comfortable than the milk crate! It was made with pallet wood too. 


Thanks for stopping by! 


No comments: