Friday, June 19, 2009

Time flies when you are having fun..and other adventures


I may have been a bit preoccupied.

With my new sewing machine. It is a Bernina 430 "white pearl" and has a computerised function which does really fantastic things like remembering if I want the needle to stay down when I pause in the sewing, or if I want it to go up. It has a huge array of stitches and the best quilting foot around with a 1/4 inch guide with I love to bits because it means my patchwork is now much more accurate.

And of course I may have been preoccupied as a result with my quilting. My sewing class is a fantastic fun thing and the top picture is the basic quilt top I have made so far. Next week we will put on the binding and then start quilting.

The next picture is of another project. I have used some old blocks that I had at home and was not satisfied with, to make a table topper as a practice quilt. I wanted to use the skills that I have been learning in class, at home and this is a great way of getting the practice in with my new sewing machine.

There has also been some sewing of a special gift for my ALS Swap buddy. But that is a secret!

And there has been going out for lunches with friends. Went to Fremantle this week for lunch and a look around.

There has been a bit of cooking -banana and chocolate bread. (This was supposed to have walnuts rather than chocolate, but I didn't have any, and chocolate is nicer anyway!

It hasn't been all craft though. I have just about finished the "Complete works of Jane Austen" and Richard Rohr's "Simplicity" and a book on Franciscan Sspirituality called "Care for Creation".

I may be having a great time!!!

If you read my blog, I would love to have you leave a comment -it would be nice to get to know you.

3 comments:

jan m said...

I have always wanted to take a quilting class and keep that on my wish list for retirement. That is quite a sewing machine!

Anonymous said...

I follow your blog regulary and i also enjoy trying to grow my own vegies and make our house a cozy home. I would also like to have a go at patchwork one day. Looks like you are having fun with your new machine. Looks like you are having fun on your long service leave, keep enjoying it!

earthmotherwithin said...

Hello jan m and countrygirl. Yes this long service leave has enabled me to have lots of fun and to learn new skills too. Four weeks to go and still plenty to do.