Saturday, March 13, 2010

Waiting for rain


We had the hottest night on record for Perth in over 30 years on Thursday last week. It has been hot and hotter. We had a band of cloud mover over the city and it kept everything hot and humid, night and day. We have been longing for a change!

Is there a breeze out there yet? Is that the wind chime I can hear?

We have been watering this little tree in the park behind our house. The big trees are OK, but this little one needs support. So far, so good but I feel the whole park needs a good dousing with water.

The birds are now struggling to find food -the pink and grey galahs do a lot more ground feeding at this time of the year, digging into the soil for grubs. They look funny when they come up with grubby faces!

The birdbaths we have around the house are popular -we have birds visit regularly for drinks and for baths too. Yesterday I watched in great amusement from thekitchen window as a mudlark (a medium sized black and white bird) splashed about in the birdbath to such a degree that he was in danger of falling out!

I think I am now officially ready for autumn to begin. We have emptied the veggie beds and are getting ready for autumn plantings.

Wait! A few drops of rain are falling!

Hopefully this is the start of something good.

2 comments:

bon008 said...

We got a few drops yesterday, too - but it wasn't enough :( I just want one good, long, soaking rain, so I can rush out and apply liquid wetting agent everywhere, and let the rain activate it and water it in.

I will admit I did a bit of a dance in the rain yesterday, before I realised it was going to stop as quickly as it started!

earthmotherwithin said...

Yes it was a bit of a let down, but even so just a few drops were welcome. Did you notice how the birds went crazy when it started to rain?