Sunday, February 2, 2020

Summer things



It is early and I am up early for several reasons. The first thing is that it is going to be a hot week again, and I need to get the bread made in the coolest part of the day. I started my bread last night, and had it kneaded and in the tin before 7am. 

On the bench are 5 jars of preserved grapes which DH did yesterday.  Our Italia grapes are doing well, and they need processing! Can you imagine us, on a deep winter's day, opening a jar of summer sunshine, and spooning this little jems onto our morning yoghurt? Or adding them to our pancakes? I reckon we have another 5 kilos at least on the vine, which will need to be processed this week. 




DH has gone off for some aquatherapy in the ocean. He finds walking in the water very helpful for his painful back and knees. This is the first occasion for him to try his new bag that I made for him: the bag he can put his towel in, and keep in the car so he doesn't forget it! I made it with an interior pocket for his glasses. The fabric was something in my stash -a heavy hand printed African cotton, which he loves.


Most of the garden has an automatic reticulation system but some of it needs a bit of help. I need to go out and do a bit of hand watering before the heat of the day. We are nursing along some summer things - cucumber, capsicum, basil, tomatoes. The good news is that the limes are now ripe and ready for summer drinks and stuff.



I am tempted to rush into autumn planting, every time there is a mild day, but the issue is that there are probably a lot of days still to come which will be over 40C. That changes everything! There is no point in going with generic planting guides -you really have to know the local conditions. 

The next few days I will be working on my improv quilt, and reading books. However I must go to the State Library to do some research on a history of a not for profit group I have been involved in- the Centre for Asylum Seekers, Refugees and Detainees is turning 20 this year! 

Our choir is also starting again, and we love to sing. It will be good to get the voice back into its fitness regime, and to see our friends.

I hope you have a good week, too, and thanks for reading my blog. Leave me a message if you like. I love to read them. 

Thinking of things to do, here are some things to read:



3 comments:

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I love grapes, but I don't think I've ever had preserved grapes.
Do you preserve leaves as well?



Have a great week, earthmotherwithin.

TheAwakenedSoul said...

I love that bag that you made. Congratulations on the grape harvest. I would love to grow them. I have tried, but I wasn't successful. Maybe I will plant them again this year. How fun to sing in a choir. I loved being in the chorus; it was so uplifting.

sustainablemum said...

Wow look at all those preserved grapes, sunshine in a jar indeed, how wonderful.

I love the fabric you have used for the bag, hope the aqua therapy works, it sounds intriguing.

40C we never get temperatures like that, even in the height of summer, that is so hot I am impressed you can grow anything.