Saturday, February 14, 2009

Living Things

This was the view from my back garden this morning as I went out to do some tidying up in the veggie patch. The lemon scented gum was lit up by the early morning sun, and there was enough moisture in the air for the smell of the gum to be diffused throughout the garden.

The gum is in our neighbour's yard, and provides great shade for them and for us on the east.

The other trees are also 'borrowed' from the walkway behind our house. This is a very important space in our suburb, and used frequently by people walking their dogs, children going to school. joggers and so on.

I spent the morning tidying up the vegetable beds. I pulled out most of the cherry tomatoes which I was not convinced were living up to their promise. The fruit was tart and that is not what I am looking for in a cherry tomato!

I have pulled out the zucchini in the raised bed -lots of flowers but no zucchinis.

I have trimmed back the cucumber but I think it is probably finished.

The beds will be prepared for new plants.

I find I am learning a great deal at the moment, about how to provide us with food from the veggie patch on a regular basis. We have the glut-followed-by-famine thing happening at the moment. I think the key will be to learn to grow from seed, and to plant regularly in batches, not all at once, but that is going to take some organization to learn.

The lower picture is of the passionfruit vine, which has been growing apace. I am very pleased with its efforts.

Some things are not doing so well. The cape gooseberry is a bit sick, and I have two eggplants in different environments, and neither of them has any fruit.

Just gave everything a foliar feed. Have been pleased that the worms are still fat and healthy, and that I still have things out here in my garden which are still alive. This time last year that was not the case. So I am learning as we go!

No comments: