Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Whale watching in Albany


We have been down to Albany on the south coast of Western Australia. Usually we go in summer, but this year we managed a few days in winter, which is when the whales migrate up our coast from the southern oceans, to the warm waters around Ningaloo where they calve. I am not a great sailor, but we took the chance on what looked like a reasonable winter day and went on the Whale Watch catermaran to see if we could spot any whales. (No, this is not me - I preferred to hang on to something a little more substantial!)


We spotted some humpback whales in the water along side the boat. I guess we saw 8 or so individuals. We saw the water spouts and several of them dived down deep, showing their tails as they went, but my camera doesn't do quick shots very well so I don't have any tails to show you.
Then someone noticed our catamaran was being followed by two whales, who obviously were interested in what kind of thing we were.

All of a sudden we had two whales on one side of the boat, and one on the other, surfing along with us for several minutes.
Our skipper said it was the first time this had happened in the 7 years he had been taking tours out of Albany. We were very excited and happy to have such a unique experience.

I am also feeling quite proud of myself, as I am not much of a sailor but I was able to enjoy this trip very much.

If you ever get a chance to see some whales, do try. It is such a special experience.

No comments: