Saturday, February 6, 2016

The value of our work in the home


Our lovely Mimi over at  A Tray of Bliss has been counting how much her work in the home was worth last week. If she had paid others to do it, what would it have cost?

So I have been doing some thinking about how did we do last week. 
DH and I work part time, and the time we don't work outside the home is available if required around here.

Dinner for the three of us plus two friends Friday night -they brought wine, we served home made dukkah with home made sourdough bread ($10 to share?) with brie and olives (another $10) , followed by a slow cooker chicken curry and rice with salad ($25 each) . There was a rose water flavoured fruit salad and chocolate ice cream to follow ($8 each) . We sat outside in our lovely patio area.  I reckon I spent about $50 and it would have cost us at $185 in a garden restaurant.  Our work saved $130.

I took two lunches to work -frozen from leftovers -soup and cauliflower cheese. Made coffee with my own plunger. Saved $10 per lunch and $3 per coffee = $26.


DH is working on a sewing extension table for me. I saw one on the internet for $250. He has the tools, the piece of plywood was left over from another project  and the fixings are here too. When complete it will cost us maybe $5? Saving of $245!

I cleaned the leather lounges and conditioned the leather. If I got someone in to do it? Maybe $50.

We worked in the garden, planting new vegetables and herbs. This included 2 hours for me to rejuvenate the worm farm and distribute the castings around the veggies and pot plants. It cost us about $60 for the supplies from Bunnings, but when a bunch of basil is $4.50 at the shop, and lemons are $3 each at the moment, the reimbursement to us for gorgeous flavours in our food is easy to estimate. I am not counting our labour costs because of course not everyone has a gardener. If you needed a gardener, you probably would not have the kind of garden we have.

I know I am so spoilt at being able to go out to the garden to get a fresh lime, or snip some rosemary. As for the wonder which is fresh thyme-O my! We  made pumpkin soup from our home grown pumpkins and sweet potatoes this week, for example, with fresh kaffir lime leaves. I am giving it a conservative estimate of $20 for the week.

I made our sourdough bread twice. These loaves are $5 in the local bakery. The ingredients are flour, water and oil with my home grown sourdough starter. I reckon they cost $2 or less each. Saving of $6.


DH installed three taps in the water tank that was replaced this week. I am calling that a saving of $175 given the price of call-out fees for plumbers!

I make our own washing powder for laundry. I think this saves $5 per week at least!

Exercise DIY -we walked on the beach 4 mornings this week. Saved $30 at least in gym membership.

We share the cooking and I can't remember the last time we bought take-away, but I think it was somene's birthday and we bought Thai from the local and it cost us nearly $70. So being prepared with food in the house, knowing how to throw something together when we are all tired etc $70 saving!

What does it all add up to? $750!





No comments: