Monday, February 11, 2019

Showers of blessings



I found this 'golden showers' tree on my walk yesterday afternoon. So stunning that I had to stop and take a photo to share. The neighbour saw me and we had a nice chat about this tree, and how we all want one just like this!

It was an eventful week for me last week -my routine was completely upturned by the need to consult our GP who then ordered a battery of tests, which took all week to complete. Blood tests, ECG, CAT scan and bone scan in rapid succession! So far I seem to be remarkably healthy according to these tests, so of course there are more to come, as we try to find out what sparked the problem and if it is important. I am reminded yet again how remarkable our health system is, when it is working like this -quickly and compassionately. It was a bit stressful -made even more so when I broke a tooth and needed a filling too, as I am a coward am not great with dentists. Then there was the unexpected find in the CAT scan, which prompted the bone scan to ensure that the 'find' was not anything to do with the breast cancer I had 14 years ago. I am so thankful it been declared today as having a benign character! Hence I am very aware of the 'showers of blessings'!


Perhaps these characters had something to do with my good fortune?  We went to have a quick dinner in Northbridge on Friday, before a show, and were randomly placed right in the front row for the dragon dance for Chinese New Year. The dragons showered us with shredded lettuce they had eaten -apparently we are now expected to have rampant good fortune in the Year of the Pig.


The reason I was out walking yesterday was that I was visiting our Street Pantry. It is being used and is doing well! It has filled up several times -and emptied too- good to see it being used, and people being so generous.


These remarkable things are the red caps of  Eucalyptus erythrocorys, commonly known as Illyarrie, Red-capped gum or Helmet nut gum, which is always in flower at this time of the year. The red caps fall off and the bright yellow flowers appear. DD used to collect the red caps in her uniform pocket on the way to primary school- a memory I will always associate with these flowers.


We were moved by the stunning Boorna Waanginy  (Let the Trees speak) light and sound show at Kings Park on Sunday night. It was such a stunning portrayal of the love of First Nation people for this fragile land, and. a plea that we listen to their wisdom in taking care of it. This display of seed pods and stories of people-faces beamed onto the screen in the centre)  committing themselves to care for our environment (was inspired.They each chose a 'totem' to take particular care of. I think my totem is the Illyarrie.


At home we have been doing some preserving. DH made some fig jam with figs which someone gave to us, and also made a fig and fennel paste to serve with cheese. They smelled fabulous when they were cooking.


So that is it for me this week. I have more tests to come, but life is good, isn't it?



3 comments:

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

I'm glad to hear that your test results so far are good.
I hope the next round of tests will be the same!

selina said...

our gum trees are fascinating aren't they? & very beautiful!
great post
thanx for sharing

TheAwakenedSoul said...

I'm glad to hear that the results were benign. That must be a relief. The fig jam looks delicious! I love fresh figs.