Sunday, February 3, 2019

Community and many other wonderful things


A group of local people have started a Street Pantry in our suburb. The local Anglican church has allowed us to set it up on the verandah of their church, and the local MP gave us the cupboard. I am helping the group.

We have a closed FaceBook group with lovely generous members, who have provided enough food to fill this cupboard -more than 140 people are members of the group. We have non-perishables including toiletries. 

This week we are going to tell some of the agencies and professionals who may come in contact with people who are struggling, as we hope that they will come and help themselves when in need.

In way this should not be necessary, but with welfare payments so low, and people having payments cut off for no reason, we do need it. 





In fact, it has been quite a week for community serendipity. We were given two of these books at Christmas, so I offered on on the local Buy Nothing group.


A neighbour found out I collected cornucopia vases, and gave me this lovely glass one in a pretty pink. Just great for a few roses, which is all I have in the garden at the moment. 


 We finally sold the park home in Northam that DH has had responsibility for, for four years as Executor of his brother's estate. It is a great relief to see this gone. DH and I went up to clear it out this week -last time! Good thing we always have "emergency champagne" for such occasions.


The park home had some pieces of furniture in it, which we don't need, so we have been offering them on the Buy Nothing group. It is so nice to meet the neighbours this way. 


I did save one piece of furniture -  a chair which I have placed in the sewing room. Dora thinks it is hers! I got quite active about tidying up in there, and have made more room for useful things. I want to keep this room actively useful, not just for storing things 'in case'. I want it to be nice to work in, a pleasant place. This chair is for the times when DH comes over from his study and we chat together! 




 All of these things have meant that we have had a wonderful week. We did the usual things - I got a couple of walks in -one around a lake near us. I did some gardening-there is more to do, as always.


I made some beetroot relish, and also some lemon and passionfruit cordial. I harvested a few grapes from one of the vines, but the grapes haven't been great this year. We think we will need to do some work on the reticulation in autumn -there doesn't seem to have been enough water for the fruit as they are splitting before they are ripe. 

I have been working in a patchy fashion (hah!) on my quilt. I spread the blocks on the bed and realised that I was going to need to have a border on this one. That will keep me busy for a while! 

4 comments:

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

Street pantry is a wonderful idea.

Recently we started a food pantry at our college. There are many students who come to classes hungry, so it's a small way to help them. I volunteer there weekly.

selina said...

seems like a good idea those community pantries, saw some that had books too.
gorgeous quilt!
too dry for a lot of fruits here atm, my lemon tree is dropping most of hers even with the gray water running on to it, think it's the heat

lovely post
thanx for sharing

earthmotherwithin said...

Oh Nil, that is wonderful! Imagine having to go to class hungry!

Selina, we are worrying about our fruit -it is very dry here and likely to be so for some time.

Meg said...

It is hard for many people and families in our communities; struggling just to afford the bare necessities while the support is either not there or hard to access. I can never get my head around why support payments get cut, or taken away, when it's clear to everyone that the cost of living is rising. It makes no sense to disadvantage people further making it even harder for them. You community pantry is a wonderful idea! Meg:)