Monday, April 20, 2020

In support of the Earth

On 22 April 2020 it will be the 50th anniversary of Earth Day

Earth Day is marked by more than a billion people every year as a day of action to change human behavior and create global, national and local policy changes.  Now, the fight for a clean environment continues with increasing urgency, as the ravages of climate change become more and more apparent every day.

Our current pandemic is linked to this crisis -as humanity puts pressure on wild spaces, so we live ever closer to animals we used to be distant from, and some people are suggesting the transfer from animals to humans of diseases is now more common.


The Swan River at Walyunga in the autumn -the water level is low and we all wait for the winter rains -will they come this year? 

Now, I know that the pandemic seems like it is drowning out every other concern we have at the moment, but in fact we have been at huge risk of destroying everything that makes for a viable living environment for humans, animals and the biosphere for decades now. Climate change represents the biggest challenge to the future of humanity and the life-support systems that make our world habitable.  Link here 

We have an opportunity, in this time of self quarantine, to reflect on how we live and how we want to live. In all the things we are missing -and I guess you like me are missing a whole lot of people and a whole lot of social experiences (orchestral concerts, restaurant meals, parties, the library) - I wonder if we will find our true values. Just like we have discovered who is a truly essential worker -and often they are the lowest paid of our society-the cleaners, shop workers, rubbish collectors, transport workers- so we may find what else is essential and what we could let go of.


This week I was pleased to offer some of my garden produce to my neighbours. A basket of pomegranates was so well received by one person that they came back and put three chocolate frogs in my letterbox! A bucket of limes were also well received. Someone nearby had bought a box of compost worms only to find that they were nearly all dead -so I gave them some of mine and in return they gave me a banana pup, which will go to my son and daughter in law's garden.



We are continuing to support our daughter in law and the family as they set up their own garden of produce from scratch. It is such fun to see them getting excited by sowing seeds.

Meanwhile we are eating home grown pumpkins, mandarins and pink grapefruit as well as the mizuna, herbs and capsicums.



I have started a new quilt -celebrating all things gardening! I continue to work for a few hours each day in the garden -I am striving to get better at saving seeds, growing from seed and making compost.

I saved the seed from the pumpkin, which was just as well as DGS1 thinks a garden without a pumpkin patch hardly counts.





Inspiration 
Blog
https://www.shoestringcottage.com/20-things-i-dont-buy-to-save-money-and-waste/

Permaculture podcast!
https://pdcastsusworldradio.libsyn.com/

This episode is a good one https://pdcastsusworldradio.libsyn.com/a-diversity-of-solutions

And this one! http://www.futuresteading.com.au/

2 comments:

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Your produce is just beautiful. I am so impressed. It's nice when people appreciate the time and care that it takes to grow your own food. I think many people will change their way of life after this pandemic. I know many of my neighbors have been asking me about gardening and growing fruits and vegetables. aren't worms wonderful?

sustainablemum said...

How I would love to be able to grow fruit like that in my garden! It is too cold here sadly. I love that you are able to gift the fruit from your garden, those pomegranates look wonderful, like jewels.

I really hope that there will be some changes to how things are when this pandemic is over, it would be a missed opportunity if we don't.