Sunday, April 26, 2020

Some harvest, some seed sowing

There is a definite touch of autumn now. The mornings are colder, and the citrus harvest is in full swing. I am giving limes and lemons away now. The pink grapefruit is providing a large fruit per day, which we juice and have for breakfast -they weigh at least 400g each. I have had one pumpkin, but there is a huge one at the back that I hope to get to ripen nicely -looks like it would weigh several kilos at least. The mandarins have had some fruit fly, but we are still getting a feed and I am keeping up the baiting regime.



I am enjoying the cooler days -it makes for a lovely time in the garden each day. I am working hard to get seeds raised for the autumn and winter and spring  -our best growing seasons. Summer is way too hot and dry and mostly what we do is try to get the garden through it, but these seasons are the best. I have planted more garlic than last year -and proudly it is garlic I grew and saved from last year! I also gave my daughter in law some cloves to plant in her garden too. We are eating broccoli leaves from a plant which lasted over the summer from last year -I cut it down to a stump without pulling the roots out -as I didn't want to disturb the soil, and I am getting a nice crop of leaves for stir fries and soups.


The picture above is broccoli seedlings, strawberry runners, dill and coriander just coming up. I have beetroot and rocket, bok choy and mizuna too, in various places around the garden. My hanging baskets have been repotted with strawberries and the prettiest pelargoniums. I have given more plants to my daughter in law's garden and am gradually whittling down the potted plant numbers. I have to do this each year.

I downloaded the delightful novel "Mr. Wigg" by Inga Simpson, published by Hachette, following a list in an article I read about "tree change manuals". I was intrigued because I had read four of the five books listed, and own two of them. Mr Wigg was quite delightful. The link to the article is below.

          


The poinsettia are colouring up, a sure sign that solstice is coming. We are in the habit of having a Winter Feast each year on Solstice -but this year I was feeling sad that we wouldn't be able to do so. Our local state government has this week, however, relaxed the rules about our social isolation so that we can have up to 10 people in our homes for dinner. Not quite as many as I usually have, but perhaps we can have our whole little family -we haven't had a meal together for ages, due to the Covid19 restrictions. Our state has very low numbers of infections, and this relaxing of the numbers is a small concession to the regime. If we can keep these numbers low, we will be doing well indeed. Schools are opening for voluntary attendance this week, and this may change the numbers. I hope not! 


Some links to share 

The Doctor's kitchen interview on the idea of a Universal Basic Income is a thought provoker

What do you think of this column?
Waleed Aly: "Sacrifice a basic level of equality for economic growth and you risk social and political fracture".  Find it here 

Is your city quiet during the lockdown? Mine is-see here 

And some suggestions of wonderful books to read 


5 comments:

TheAwakenedSoul said...

Wonderful plants you have. Citrus is so delicious. I have several trees, too.

Nanna Chel said...

Some of our restrictions here in Qld are easing on Friday night but we still can't have more than one or two visitors...can't remember which it is but definitely not ten. The numbers are low here too and NSW and Victoria seem to have the most cases. At least it is nothing like in the US and the UK. How scary is that?

earthmotherwithin said...

I agree Nanna Chel -it is very scary to think of friends and family in the US and UK

sustainablemum said...

I am glad to hear that you restrictions are slowly lifting it must be lovely for you to be able to make plans once again. In my part of the UK the numbers of cases are relatively low but it is a rural area with a spread out population, a rare thing for this tiny island. The cities have been the worst effected but given the high density of the population it is not surprising. Sadly whatever restrictions are in place are there for everyone and although it would probably be ok for us to doing more where I live it will be a countrywide decision not location specific which is sensible as we could end up with an influx of visitors coming here, it is a tourist area, and then our cases could go through the roof!

Tania said...

I never thought to chop off the broccoli and harvest the leaves that shoot back. I will do that next time. A friend said that you can chop kale back and it will come again but I have not tried that either. Your pumpkin vine looks healthy, I struggle to grow pumpkins. This year over winter I will be preparing a manure patch to grow them in the ground. If I let it sit until spring the soil should be healthy for them.

There is talk of lifting our restrictions further because this is the eighth day without a positive case of COVID-19. Our schools have gone back and we have always been allowed ten people, so not sure if that will change. I did hear that numbers will increase for funerals and weddings {but not confirmed}. Restaurants etc will open under special rules. We will also be allowed to travel within our own state. I should imagine there will be cars everywhere, looking for a change of scenery haha!

Enjoy your weekend,
xTania